online jobs

Monday, August 31, 2009

Kusina Selera

Last night, we had our late dinner at a new restaurant. It has nice interiors, cozy ambience and well-lit dining areas. We came to Kusina Selera found in Legaspi Suites at Legaspi Street. We left full and satisfied but not so impressed with the food. Well, I think they're still at a hit-and-miss stage.

They serve Filipino dishes. Food that you would also enjoy at home but is just much more comforting to eat at their restaurant. Our appetizer was the pomelo salad. It's a toss of chunks of pomelo, slices of tomatoes, unripened papaya and nuts on top swimming in a boat dish of fish sauce (patis). My first impression is that the tangy-ness of the pomelo is overpowering and made the other ingredients useless. But the nuts makes it interesting and I like that the fish sauce isn't so overpowering. You'll hardly even notice that it is what it is.

Our entrees are Bistek Selera and Boneless Crispy Chicken. My sister also ordered the Steak Rice. To start with, Bistek Selera was my order. This dish is good for two. It is like Bistek Tagalog but the catch is there are breaded onion rings on top. Well, that's what the description said but we didn't get the breaded ones, only the usual onion rings. This, however, I realized after we have finished eating it and found it too late to bring to their attention. Next is the Boneless Crispy Chicken. According to our waiter, it's a favorite among their customers and I agree. It's delicious. My only concern was that it's a bit pricey to pay for a half fried chicken on a sizzling plate with gravy. I don't think it can be shared by two. It's like Bigby's Chix Ahoy but I must say, Kusina Selera's tastes better. And finally, the Steak Rice was my sister's order. It's literally sauteed rice with tenderloin tips. This dish is so-so. Although unique in its taste, I wasn't blown away. And the price again, in my opinion, is not worth it even if it has tenderloin tips. However, this can be shared by two but it wouldn't change my opinion on the pricing. It's still expensive.

I think the Dabawenyos' taste have evolved through the years. You'll see classy restaurants popping here and there. They are flanked by Dabawenyos at first but then die down after a while. That's our culture. We try something new but we almost always go back to the familiar taste. But I still do hope that Kusina Selera will eventually turn into a go-to place, somewhere we can all be familiar with. And I would most definitely eat there again because there are many dishes I haven't tried yet. My taste buds are craving for their desserts.

2 comments:

  1. Punta tayo dito nazh? Gosh, I cannot wait to go to Davao. Super excited. :) Pwede ba next month ka na ikasal? Oh wait, kelangan ko pa pala magpapayat. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha kelangan ko rin huminahon sa mga pig-outs.

    ReplyDelete