online jobs

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Overdrive at Tagum City

It literally means I "over drove" all the way to Tagum City. The journey was not planned. It was Mom and mine's spur of the moment and I ended up driving for two hours back and forth. It was tiring and it came to the point that I wished our car was automatic instead of a stick shift. However, the roads were paved except for some parts where work is still being done.

After a coffee-infused breakfast at McDonald's, we decided to seek out a mall somewhere in Panacan. It was supposedly, a 30 to 45-minute drive. I just drove where the highway took us and kept moving forward. And on we went through foreign areas. We had no idea where the ma
ll is and when the journey will end.

We passed Sasa, Panacan, Panabo, Tibungco. I was amazed at the vastness of the shipping yards found on both sides of the road. I was in awe at the humongous cement factories of Holcim. There was something cool about those industrial plants. I realized that there are much, much more to explore beyond the city bounds of Davao.


I wouldn't have seen them if it weren't for the paved roads and wide lanes. Also, I w
ould have driven back where we came from right away when trucks, pick-ups, buses and other SUVs would overtake us left and right. The roads made me feel secure in broad daylight. I wouldn't dare to drive if we went at night.

We kept moving forward and over bridges. Mom was eager to see the City Hall of Tagum. She had heard that it was a sight to see. And what a sight indeed.
Apparently, there was nothing to see. What caught our eyes is the city's color-coded tricycles. All tricycles are colored at the same shade of green. And they're the kings of the road. I managed to capture a picture of one of the little buggers on the str
eet. I've seen more tricycles than jeepneys in Tagum city. And they look neat in one color. Unlike in Davao city, wherein they're such nuisances and they're everywhere. Dabawenyos hardly walk these days and I wonder why. But that would be another blog entry.

Anyway, after evidence-gathering, we headed for home. The drive was faster but still with the close encounters of buses, trucks, pick-ups and SUVs left and right.

I felt relieved that we have arrived in Davao city. But believe or not, I gained a sense of contentment that I live in a beautiful city--where everything is accessible in a few minutes, where traffic is a minimum, where life is laid-back. It was like love the second time around, only it wasn't lost in the first place. It got deeper. I love Davao!!! and I'm a proud Dabawenya!

No comments:

Post a Comment